GREETINGS

Hello my friends welcome to my world. This blog is to show you the readers a glimpse inside the world that is me!

9/23/2012

What is your five year plan?

I asked my self the same question 5 years ago. Where did I see myself? What did I want to be doing with my life? Well I made it to the 5 year mark. It was on this day 5 years ago where I was transitioning from an undergrad to a real world adult. The real world was fresh new exciting what was I to do. Well first I thought I have a new degree I need a job. Needless to say I could not just snap my fingers and BAM the perfect job. I had to work at it. I needed a plan. Well luckily for me I had a summer job set up and it would be the perfect transition.I was also preparing for my trip to JAMAICA at the end of the summer. My best friend was also preparing for her first child so I would be traveling to Brooklyn NEW YORK to help her get last minute things ready. I had a lot going on.  My career path was had been chosen. There was no question as to what I could do with my degree. With a Bachelor's in Social Work I set out my search to be just that a social worker.
 Well no one ever told me that things do not go as planned, or maybe they did and I did not listen and I had to find out on my own. I was atypically college graduate and I thought I would get a job right away. While I was in school I would see several job postings for BSW graduates so I was in there right?? Wrong well wouldn't you know that the job market in Atlanta and Boston is so different. I needed my Master's Degree or more experience. Tell me how am I going to get more experience if you are not willing to hire me! I did work during the summer and I figured I could relax and not look for a job right away because I had it in the bag.
The summer ended I had been the graduation parties had ended and trips were over. It had just gotten real. I needed a purpose. All my life I had been in school never really work except a few summer gigs. School had always been my purpose. I had be warned but I did not listen. I have learned over the years that you can tell someone something until you are blue in the face whether it be mistakes you've made or lessons to be learned. It won't matter because that person needs to experience life on their own and find a way to make them happy.
This was me 110%. I know what I want to do and the steps I need to take to achieve them. I was now officially an adult. Legally I was an adult at the age of 18. I went away to college but I was sheltered. I was on my own because I was 1000 miles away from home but that college life will get you and trick you into believing that you are on your own. In some cases this is true, in terms of my life I got comfortable and used to the school thing and did not realized that I had to choose my own destiny and every aspect of my life was my decision to make.

Here I am five years later from when I first asked myself the question of  WHERE DO I SEE MYSELF IN FIVE YEARS? It certainly was not where I am now. I am not saying I am doing bad for myself. I just had a false sense of reality and did realize the effort that needed to be put into the things I wanted. I am blessed to say that I have a full-time job, on the path to management family life is okay. But I am alive! I have a plan and there may be some bumps in the road but guess what I am fully prepared! So I charge this question to you: Is your 5 year plan still in effect?

No comments:

Post a Comment